As I presented in the past I really admire and support the science based research that Corporate Visions provides. They have completely revolutionized much of the standard way of doing things in sales and marketing. Their latest effort has been the need to separate your solution from the competition by fulfilling the buyer’s needs through your unique advantages.
The 4 page brief, you can click here to see and download, provides a quick overview on this important topic. I encourage you to seek out their webinars which can be seen real-time or recorded. They get into more detail and allow you to see what’s behind the research and conclusions.
The first thing to do is determine what makes you different. That seems obvious but sometimes it’s different depending upon the client or it may have changed due to market conditions. They propose developing a "Value Wedge" using 3 criteria:
- It’s unique to you
- It’s important to the buyer
- It’s defensible
Address your buyers needs
- Buyer’s business challenge
- What they can do better with your solution
- How does taking this action mean for their business
- What’s your unique solution-Your Value Wedge
Sharing "Telling Details"
- Instead of selling features, benefits or superlatives use "Telling Details" that helps make your pitch more focused, specific and detailed according to how it applies to the buyer.
This is a very brief overview on this topic. I recommend if you want to see more specifics watch the webinar or get the full eBook here.